Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Red Velvet Cupcakes

I love most cakes, particularly the chocolates and the yellows and the variants thereof. More than any other, however, I love red velvet cake. I didn't try red velvet until maybe five years ago, at Tippecanoe Place in South Bend. I think their recipe has become the standard to which I compare all others, and few come close. So, this February I attempted to perfect my red velvet cupcakes--I tried three times in two weeks, learning tricks along the way; all were good, and now I think I almost have it... Here's the recipe from the second attempt!

Red Velvet Cupcakes
-2 1/4 c. cake flour
-1 1/2 t. baking soda
-pinch salt
-1 c. buttermilk
-1 T. white vinegar
-1 t. vanilla
-2 eggs
-2 T. unsweetened natural cocoa powder
-2 T. red food coloring
-3/4 c. unsalted butter
-1 1/2 c. granulated sugar

1. Whisk together buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla, and eggs in a large measuring cup. Combine food coloring with cocoa in a small bowl to form a paste. Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
2. Beat together butter and sugar. Add the flour mixture in three portions, alternating with two additions of the liquid mixture. Add the cocoa mixture, and beat until the batter is well combined.
3. Pour into lined cups. Bake at 350* for 20 minutes, rotating tins halfway through.

Cream Cheese Frosting
-1 c. unsalted butter
-12 oz. cream cheese
-4 c. confectioners' sugar
-3/4 t. vanilla

1. Beat together butter and cream cheese until fluffy (2-3 minutes).
2. Add sugar, 1/2 cup at a time and beat until smooth. Add vanilla.
3. Frost cupcakes. (I tried piping--it seemed to hold its shape pretty nicely!)

Look at that gorgeous color!

(And these baking cups are amazing. They're grease-proof, and Sweedish.)

1 comment:

  1. oh my gosh, i didn't realized the BATTER looked so yummy!

    ReplyDelete